GiddyUp Girlz

Two girlz, two bikes, two countries, one summer and one big adventure

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

TICONDEROGA

We're on the road, in Vermont. NOT quite to Middlebury yet---the CORNWALL FREE LIBRARY was too inviting to me, it's so blasted hot outside. The first town we hit this morning after the aptly named PARADOX, NEW YORK was TICONDEROGA. As soon as I found out that Ticonderoga was on our route, I began fantasizing about visiting the Ticonderoga Pencil Factory. Ticonderoga No. 2 pencils have always been my favorite pencil, and I couldn't WAIT to see how they are made! Are they made in big long 12 foot pencil lengths, then cut down to size? How do they get the lead in there, is it a molten hot liquid that's pressurized into a drilled opening? How do they differentiate between the No. 2, the No. 2.5, etc.? I could just imagine seeing those pencils coming off the line, getting those perfect pink erasers applied before the stamp of TICONDEROGA NO 2 got embedded and the pencils rolled off to be sharpened and used. So, breathlessly I arrived at the Ticonderoga Library this morning and inquired about the pencils. The librarian never even looked up, just stated "Ticonderoga pencils aren't made here. Ticonderoga pencils have never been made here. They get the graphite here, but the pencils are made elsewhere..." I feebly asked, "Where?" and she speculated that it might be Long Island. Phooey!

But, don't despair. Ticonderoga is the home to HISTORIC FORT TICONDEROGA, which we visited. It was said to be the "key to the continent" and many battles were waged to control the waterway which lead into Canada and the U.S. Guess what? It's shaped like a star, made out of stone, has a bunch of little holes cut out with guns pointed out. Marching grounds littered with assorted abandoned artillery. A moat. Quel Surprise! I looked at the exhibits about Ethan Allen (not the furniture) and Benedict Arnold (not the omelet) and Kami surveyed the perimeter.

Next stop Middlebury!